Allow me to share my theory of teen years in simple language…
- 0-12 years: Exploring with pure innocence. Egocentric. Living for the day. Smooth.
- Early teen years: Choosing peer group, the game of “fitting in” begins, it all seems possible.
- Mid teen years: Trying to fit in. Acting phase, having two personalities; one in school to satisfy peer pressure, other at home to satisfy parental pressure. Believing life can easily be double faced.
- Mid to late teen years: Realising it’s not easy to fit in. Playing it safe, a little here a little there. Internal conflict manifested in disinterest, boredom, depression and/or rebellious behaviour. Rough times!
- Late teen years: Realising “fitting in” will not thrive. Finding faults in peer group. Attempting to build own identity. Tough times, but quite a ride.
Later on: Enjoying newly developed identity. Responsible. Standing up for values, life becomes much easier! Well, with annoying minor incidents of each of the above!